Monday, August 3, 2009

Late Post: Dinner from Greece

M here.last week we had a dinner from greece.have you done the challenge?i got 5/10.can you do better?

MENU:
meze (pita, feta, hummus and olives.)
grilled shrimp
okra
zucchini w/mint
bakery pastry

MY FAVORITES:
meze
bakery pastry

ANNE'S END:
M really enjoyed his challenge questions. And I thought it was funny that the first cookbook was considered a "corrupting influence". Almost made me think that I shouldn't be posting recipes here, lest you readers be corrupted. :) But I'll just let you cook at your own risk.

The steamed zucchini (from our garden!) with mint was an easy dish. I sliced thick slices of zucchini and put them in a steamer basket, over an inch of boiling water. I tossed a sprig of mint on top and steamed all under the zucchini was tender. Yum.

While Greeks do eat pastries, sweet desserts aren't common at the end of Greek meals; if they have anything at the end of the meal, it's just a plate of fruit. We compromised and picked up fruit tarts at our local bakery.

We are heading on vacation to CT and NY tomorrow. So look for our next post to be "on location" in NYC. We plan to enjoy some typical NYC fare, as well as a couple of ethnic restaurants and look for us to report on those late this week.


Hummus recipe

2 c. chickpeas (you can use drained and rinsed, canned chickpeas, but I prefer cooking mine from dry -- a pressure cooker helps with cooking the chickpeas from dry)
2-3 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 c. parsley
1/3 c. tahini
salt to taste

1.) Throw it all in a food processor and process until smooth. How easy is that? So simple you won't risk moral corruption!

1 comment:

  1. Hummus is so easy and yummy! I didn't see the quiz anywhere though. Maybe my iPhone isn't letting me see it - I'll try to find it tomorrow when I go on the laptop! Hope you have fun in NYC and CT!!

    ReplyDelete