Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas dinner: Scandinavia




We made a great Scandinavian dinner for Christmas. I took all the recipes from Scandinavian Cooking by Beatrice Ojakangas. I bought the cookbook for my Kindle a couple of months ago and have been enjoying reading the cultural background. I also love that Ojakangas has organized the recipes by suggested menus, rather than by course. Even as a Kindle fan, though, I didn't like cooking from an e-book, especially when I needed to switch between recipes, so I have ordered a paper copy.

Our menu:
  • Frikadaler Ojakangas calls these as fish balls, but I'd describe them as latkes made out of cod.
  • Deviled Eggs with Caviar Yum. And beautiful enough to be featured on the cover of the cookbook.
  • Jansson's Temptation Potatoes, onions, half-and-half, and anchovies baked together. We made a pan without the anchovies for M. We had made this once before for an Around the World dinner and I think that I liked the first recipe a little better than this one. The original recipe is here.
  • Christmas salad Apples, pickled beets, red cabbage, and lemon juice. Super easy and a perfect complement to the fish and potatoes.
  • Pumpernickel bread (from my favorite local bakery), crispbread, and cheese.
  • Dessert was gingerbread cookies and See's candies.
M's interruption
I really liked the frikadaler, which look like fish pancakes, and the potatoes.
Back to Mom, so I can keep building my Lego Burrow (the Weasleys' house from Harry Potter).

Back to Mom
It's always fun to work together to make Christmas dinner, and in this one, we had a winner: everything tasted great and were relatively easy to make. But, no, we didn't make M try the caviar -- I don't need him developing expensive tastes at age 8!

No comments:

Post a Comment