Friday, April 2, 2010

On location: England


We've just returned from a 10-day trip to England. What a beautiful country, with a rich history. And great food. I know no one associates England with good food, but we have eaten so well on both of our trips.

One of the culinary highlights was a goat cheese tart at the George Inn in Lacock Village. The tart was delish and the setting was perfect. The village of Lacock is fully owned by the National Trust and the town has been featured in many movies and TV. The cloisters in the town abbey were part of Hogwarts, one of the buildings was in the miniseries version of "Pride & Prejudice," and another house is Judy Dench's character's house in the British TV series ("Cranford"), among others. The George Inn has had a liquor license since 1362. No, that's not a typo, 1362!!

In London, we had two dinners at the Prince Edward pub. Prior to our trip, I had set my Google status to "London Calling." Guess what started playing as soon as we sat down the first night at the Prince Edward? I was so excited that I had to text a friend in the States to tell her.

M's interruption:
I liked Pizza Express. We ate there in Bath, London, AND York! I also liked the pizza at Garfunkel's at Heathrow Airport. Mom also found FIFA trading cards at the airport. I also got English Premier League trading cards and watched Bolton v. Manchester United on TV at one of the pubs.

Yo Sushi! was also very cool. Instead of ordering, you take your food from a conveyor belt. Bowls are color-coded so you know the price. Surprisingly avocado rolls and edamame are among the cheapest. I had 3 bowls of avocado rolls, each bowl has 4 rolls, so I had 12 avocado rolls!

Back to Mom.
Yes, we ate in Pizza Express three times. Among the best pizza I've ever had. I especially liked the Fiortina, which had spinach and a fried egg on top. The egg worked much better than it sounds. Really. One thing that I noticed and really appreciated about Pizza Express and other chain family restaurants is that they said that they avoided using GMOs. Wish it would happen here, but I'm afraid that the agribusiness lobbies are too strong.

Tonight, we're making our first post-vacation Around the World dinner. Keeping with M's interest in the FIFA World Cup, it'll be a South African meal ("bunny chow" and Malva pudding). Look for a post tonight or tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment